Mini ethnography of subculture

Abstract

In this essay, I spent a couple of weeks trying ti observe the Samoan subculture. At this point I had already done research about Samoan culture, but for this essay I went one step further and observed them through the internet.

Intro

A few years ago, I watched a movie that showed Samoans and their culture. I was fascinated by it and how different it was from any culture I was part of. I didn’t understand a lot of it except for the values the culture had. I felt like it was something that I didn’t value as much as I could. Those core values that they had were family nature, and their community. They had a lot of pride for their culture. After watching the movie I was always interested in the Samoan culture. As I’ve researched Samoans in my past essay and different aspects of their culture I felt that I’ve needed to really dig deeper into their culture and really observe their culture. Samoan culture is very difficult to observe because there aren’t many ways to do it over the internet. After a long time of looking for sources, I came across a few that really opened my eyes to new information about the culture as an outsider. Seeing the culture and people helped me understand things that I previously was unaware of. I made observations that I wouldn’t have made with my previous research. 

Tattoo

In my past essay I needed to do a lot of research about tattoos because it is a cornerstone in the Samoan culture. This time around I felt that a good way to understand the tradition better was to watch a Samoan tattoo artist at work. I ultimately found a Youtube video of a man getting his Samoan tattoos. The first thing I noticed was that there wasn’t some advanced piece of machinery or any technology involved much at all, although it is available. The items used for the tattoo is a tool from sharpened boar’s teeth fastened together with a portion of the turtle’s shell and to a wooden handle. These are tools brought from nature and basically done by hand. The sharp teeth punctures the skin by the artist tapping it with wood. Overall this makes the process more painful and the tattoos are usually big so it can take a long time. The pain of the tattoo is actually a very important factor because one of the things that the tattoo signifies is becoming mature. If someone can handle the pain of the tattoo, they have grown into womanhood/manhood. The tattoo artist says, “The importance of being tattooed, it’s a mark that tells people that you are ready to serve your people”. The tattoo artist  believes that tattooing is a way to preserve the original samoan culture. The tattoo in this video was performed in the same way but the tattoo artist has chosen to now use titanium steel instead of Boar’s tusk. Tattooing goes back to before missionaries arrived in the land and before religion was involved. The missionaries tried to take away tattooing from Samoans but they failed and it still stands today despite Samoans taking on the religion. The process of the tattoo really surprised me because of how precise the tattoo was despite using no technology and using mostly natural tools.

Technology in Samoa

Something I noticed about Samoan culture is that by the general idea of “modern”, Samoans are modernized. They have a lot of nature around them and they utilize it in their day to day. They don’t rely or use technology as much as other cultures. More and more Samoans are integrating technology in their day-to-day lives. Before the integration of technology, Samoans would write letters to their family members to get in contact with them.  Technology seems to be a big topic that Samoans talk about. There are people who believe that technology is changing Samoan culture and taking Samoans away from the original values and traditions of the culture. I think this is important because it highlights the values in Samoan culture even for an outsider. Although technology is changing the culture, and many criticize it, it actually helps the people a lot. It is convenient in their everyday lives and helps them communicate with family outside of Samoa. The values in Samoa relied on the absence of technology but the integration of it is basically inevitable. There is also a belief that they can co-exist if the government limits the use of technology. 

Samoan Dances

Another important part of the Samoan culture is their special dances. I think this is a great aspect to capture because it takes many of the Samoan components that make the culture unique. The first thing that I would highlight is the Samoans themselves and the way they are dressed for the Samoan dances. They have dedicated costumes for their dances. I notice that their outfits are usually very flashy and change from men to women. Men and women wear skirts or clothes around their waist. Women also have grass as a part of their outfit which goes along with what I noticed about their value of nature in the culture. I think something I can learn about their dance outfits is what the deeper meaning behind them is and what the significance of them is. Something that goes along with the clothing is the Samoan tattoos. They are shown when Samoans are dancing because of what they are wearing. Samoan music is also something that is part of this snapshot because it is usually what they dance to. The music is with Samoan lyrics and Samoan music is actually very important to them. The music resonates with them because it is about their culture and values. I think it would be beneficial if I look into Samoan music further, specifically what makes it unique. The setting itself is usually in a natural environment. Basically it is outdoors and surrounded by nature, like grass or trees. Because it is in Samoa, where the environments are usually natural anyway. Something in particular I noticed is that the dances are done for entertainment and it is very popular. The music and dances are just a great way for people to have fun and connect with each other since the dances are performed and enjoyed by many. 

Conclusion

Through my observations I think that the Samoan culture has very unique traditions that they remain very proud of. The culture they built is very reliant on being there for each other and being a tight-knit community. Samoan dances and tattoos are special to Samoans because of the meaning they have to the people. Getting a Samoan tattoo is more than just getting a well designed tattoo on the body. The tattoos are special to them because it shows maturity and pride in the culture. Samoan dances also show the pride the people have for their culture, and the use of nature is what makes it unique. When I first saw Samoan tattoos and their dances, I just thought the tattoos looked nice and the dances were entertaining. Now I understand the weight they carry in the culture and the meaning they have for them. Overall the observations I made helped me truly understand how the values translate into traditions and rituals. When looking at the tattoos, I can see how they symbolize the values of the culture. When watching the Samoan dances I can see the values of the culture by how they are performed. All of the reasons why I chose this subculture to research and observe, I felt fulfilled afterward. I wanted to understand the subculture as an outsider so that I can understand why they do the things they do rather than looking at it as abnormal because of what I’m used to seeing in my culture. I really enjoyed observing this culture and doing this mini-ethnography because I feel like I can take something away from this myself. I have always wanted to value a lot of the things Samoans value, although I can do it in different ways within my own subcultures. 

Samoan tattoo tools                    Samoan dance

Notes:

-A snapshot I can capture from my notes is the traditional Samoan dances that are done throughout the culture. I think this is a great image to capture because it takes many of the Samoan components that make the culture unique. The first thing that I would highlight is the Samoans themselves and the way they are dressed for the Samoan dances. They have dedicated costumes for their dances. I notice that their outfits are usually very flashy and change from men to women. Men and women wear skirts or clothes around their waist. Women also have grass as a part of their outfit which goes along with what I noticed about their value of nature in the culture. I think something I can learn about their dance outfits is what the deeper meaning behind them is and what the significance of them is. Something that goes along with the clothing is the Samoan tattoos. They are shown when Samoans are dancing because of what they are wearing. Samoan music is also something that is part of this snapshot because it is usually what they dance to. The music is with Samoan lyrics and Samoan music is actually very important to them. The music resonates with them because it is about their culture and values. I think it would be beneficial if I look into Samoan music further, specifically what makes it unique. Overall I think some things I forgot to take in about Samoan dances are whatever differentiates the types of dances they perform, and if they are religious in any way. I also want to know who specifically performs these dances. The setting itself is usually in a natural environment. Basically it is outdoors and surrounded by nature, like grass or trees. Because it is in Samoa their environments are usually natural anyway. A lot of the language in this snapshot would be insider language because it is their music that is played in their language. The dances can be performed day or night. Overall I think the ritual is very representative of Samoan culture.

–There are traditional/cultural dances that are routinely done. Some of the dances are religious and are rooted in Christianity. The dance I watched in a YouTube video was called a fire dance where they spin a stick that is on fire. They were performed by men and they were wearing red Samoan clothing that I wasn’t sure how to identify specifically. Different Samoan dances are performed by strictly men and women. There are dances that are made for both. Most of their dances are performed as entertainment but also are rooted in the culture to show passion as well as pride of the Samoan culture. 

-Music is also a big part of Samoan culture and it is used when doing the Samoan dances. 

-Something I noticed about Samoan culture is that by the general idea of “modern”, Samoans are modernized. They have a lot of nature around them and they utilize it in their day to day. They don’t rely or use technology as much as other cultures. More and more Samoans are integrating technology in their day-to-day lives. Before the integration of technology, Samoans would write letters to their family members to get in contact with them.  Technology seems to be a big topic that Samoans talk about. There are people who believe that technology is changing Samoan culture and taking Samoans away from the original values and traditions of the culture.

The main takeaways from my observations and notes is that Samoans are very different from most cultures around the world and their traditions are very distinct. I am noticing how tight-knit the culture is and how much they value non-materialistic things, such as nature and family. Music and dancing is a part of the culture and is different from the music and dancing I am used to seeing and hearing. Technology is also a topic of interest because of how relevant it is for Samoans in the current day. Overall my observations helped me notice things that I didn’t know about previously and is opening up my perception about Samoans even further.

Reflection: 

My intentions for this essay is to inform outsiders of the Samoan subculture about my observations and my view about the culture. I focused on Samoan tattoos, Samoan dances, and the influence of technology in the subculture. The process of writing this essay was long. The first step was to find sources that I felt would help me gather notes and observations. I eventually got help from a classmate on the best way to go about it and eventually I found some great articles, forums, and YouTube videos. I then started writing and along the way got advice from my professor and classmate. From doing this essay I learned a lot about the subcultures I am a part of because of the difference in values and rituals. I realized a lot of the things in Samoan culture would be considered abnormal in the subcultures I am a part of. I enjoyed this assignment because I feel that it is important to take that next step in researching, which is observing. One thing I would like to improve on is my use of sources within my essay and adding my own personal take and experience more often. My comments from my instructor helped me with my introduction and the way I started the introduction which I felt like I improved from the first draft. I think this essay helped me with the fourth course learning objective which is developing and engaging in the collaborative and social aspects of writing processes. I think this was done not only in peer review and my instructor’s help, but also through my research. I think that getting the research was a collaborative process and social process.

Work cited page

Thomas, R. M. (n.d.). The rise and decline of an educational technology: Television in American Samoa – Educational Technology Research and Development. SpringerLink. Retrieved May 11, 2022, from https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02765361 

Radakovich, J. (2004, August 1). Movement characteristics of three Samoan dance types: Ma’ulu’ulu, Sasa and Taualuga. ScholarSpace at University of Hawaii at Manoa: Home. Retrieved May 11, 2022, from https://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu/handle/10125/10429